For emerging writers, for English language learners, for students with special needs, writing can be a challenge. Visual learners might like to sketch things out first. Even fluent writers will appreciate a change now and then. For all of them, and for teachers, Storyboard That! provides an effective learning tool for development of literacy skills. … Read more.
To coincide with African-American History Month, here are a few suggestions for African-American literature often used in the classroom.
- Maya Angelou
- Toni Cade Bambara
- Octavia Butler: Biography, Kindred
- Christopher Paul Curtis
- Frederick Douglass
- Nikki Grimes: Talkin' About Bessie, Danitra Brown, and other works
- Langston Hughes
- Toni Morrison
- Walter Dean Myers
- Jerry Pinkney: "The Ugly Duckling" and other stories
- Faith Ringgold
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- August Wilson: Fences, The Piano Lesson